Here's what I think about it!

This blog site is a virtual upchuck of misc. stuff. Poetry, what I'm thinking about and what you think about it. It's new, but enjoy all the same.

Friday, September 01, 2006

Should I stay or should I go now!


Well, not much been going on lately other than work. I asked for a raise. It's been two years, and I have more than proved myself to be a good manager. In two years I have saved my company approx. $20,000 + in mistakes, supplies, leasing equipment, etc...

I've gained respect from every salesperson, customer service person, and dozens of the highest profile clients we have. I've tripled the efficiency of our workflow, and have proposed how to triple it again by moving towards a paperless system. I've trained myself and passed that training onto everyone that will listen. I've even played a private and silent role in improving workflow and efficiency in other departments.

So what's my odds of getting any more than a $1.00 an hour raise. Practically none! It appears that I am not that far from being topped out for my position in my company. And here's what really sucks. When I first started, I left a job that paid only .75 cents less an hour than what I am making now. That was five years ago. So (doing the math) I am only up .75 cents in 5 years. That sucks. Especially considering that I was in line to make $2.00 more per hour where I was had there not been the falling out. <<< That's for another post.

I've been in the same field of work for almost 10 years now so I consider it my career. Truth is, I want to stay in this career, but there is not alot of turn around (employee wise). These positions are hard to come across. However after realizing that I may soon be "topped out", I've been doing some thinking. What I like just as much as what I actually do (job duties) is management. I love the challenge. The ability to take the train wreck that lies ahead of me and rebuild it to be a little engine that can. While I don't like is being given a screwdriver to rebuild an engine (metaphorically speaking), I like convincing others to buy me more tools to work with.

So, I have considered updating the ole' dusty resume and focusing more on the leadership abilites and trying to make a new career. As long as I have stuck with this, it would be quite a change to find myself managing or supervising in another industry, but I can still do (some) of what I do on the side if I wanted for a few extra buckaroos.

I'd sell my body to women, but that would be like retiring with no income.

What would you do in my position?????

Peace!

5 Comments:

Blogger shpprgrl said...

Make a plan. Start seeing what's out there. If something feels right, it might be.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Rachel Heather said...

well I am in your position now

and what I asked myself is (as you read in my blog) - what would I do if I were not scared?

and then I also asked mysself - if I could make a living doing what I loved - if money were not an issue- then what would I do

11:25 PM  
Blogger M said...

it sucks when you don't get paid what you're worth.......

i used to be a supervisor. they worked me as much as they could but didn't pay me anything worth working.........

now, i'm not a supervisor, and i get paid a lot more. it's crazy how it goes. good luck with the raise though!!!

oh, and btw..... St. Simon's Island was BEAUTIFUL!!! a lot like the lowcountry of SC where i'm from..... we're not that far apart. :-)

8:51 PM  
Blogger GrizzBabe said...

I think you should go for a career change. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. (I need to be taking my own advice.)

5:17 PM  
Blogger CP said...

Thanks to all of you for your comments and encoureagement. There are a lot of things going on at work that are keeping me challenged with the new equipment and going paperless deal, but I'm still going to try to find out if I am topped out or not and let that help me make my decision.

It doesn't seem tht the whole "selling my body out" thing is going to fly to well anyway.

Peace!

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home